Severe cold weather is expected over the next several days in the Coastal Bend region. The cold weather may cause electric disruptions throughout the city. AEP crews are monitoring the situation and are ready to manage hazards and outages that may affect the area. If a resident is aware of downed power lines and/or power outages, please report these incidents to AEP by calling 877-373-4858 or to report power outages call 866-223-8508.
AEP has some suggestions for residents before a storm:
- Customers who are on life support systems or other medical equipment that require electricity, are encouraged to make alternate arrangements in case of extended power outages.
- Residents should prepare an emergency outage kit including flashlights, batteries, radios, candles, matches, drinking water, camp stoves, sleeping bags and non-perishable food items.
After the storm and outage:
- Unplug or turn off washers, dryers and other major appliances and electronic equipment including televisions, DVD players and computers. Turn them on one at a time when power is restored.
- If you use a portable generator, DO NOT plug the generator into your circuit box. Plug appliances directly into the generator. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and never use a portable generator indoors to prevent the probability of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Frozen food should remain frozen for up to 48 hours inside the freezer.
All downed power lines should be considered energized and dangerous.
Source: City of Corpus Christi