State fairs are fun for the rides and people watching, but one of the best parts is definitely the food options. These events bring out deep-fried everything and people seem to love it. From Kool-Aid Pickles to deep-fried butter balls, these are some of the weirdest state fair foods around.
- Ice Cream Potato at the Western Idaho Fair- Idaho knows potatoes, but this is actually a dessert of vanilla ice cream shaped like a potato, rolled in cocoa powder and topped with whipped cream, to look like sour cream.
- Kool-Aid Pickles at the North Carolina State Fair- This sweet and sour snack, also known as Koolickles, is pickles soaked in the sugary beverage and served chilled.
- Deep-Fried Watermelon at the California State Fair- The fried fruit is covered with a berry syrup and powdered sugar, to make it super sweet.
- Fruity Pebble Shrimp on a Stick at the Alameda County Fair- Sounds like a strange combo, but people in Alameda seem to love the savory and sweet mix.
- Green Chile Pepperoni Funnel Cake at the New Mexico State Fair- This spin on the classic funnel cake gets an extra kick from green chilis and pepperoni.
- Deep-Fried Chicken Noodle Soup at the State Fair of Texas- They figured out how to deep-fry chicken noodle soup and put it on a stick. The crunchy soup balls come with a side of broth, which is poured into holes poked in each ball.
- Fried Butter Balls at the New England State Fair- At this event, known as “The Big E,” you can get fried balls of butter. That’s it, and as crazy as it sounds, fairgoers are apparently big fans.