Mourners by the thousands have continued filing past the flag-draped casket of former President George H.W. Bush at the U.S. Capitol in recent days – and a number of them ended up being greeted by his son, former President George W. Bush.
The nation's 41st President has been lying in state in the Capitol Rotunda, with the public viewing continuing until 8:45am this morning – when he’ll be honored with a state funeral at Washington's National Cathedral. In what was perhaps the most poignant moment during yesterday’s viewing, former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole was among those paying respects to the late President.
As you might recall, Dole and Bush were decorated World War II veterans who tangled in the 1988 presidential campaign. Bush won the Republican nomination and went on to serve one term as President. But when he arrived yesterday, it was clear that any old wounds had healed as an emotional Dole looked on. And then, he was assisted out of his wheelchair – and he saluted the former president.
- Bush will be transported through the streets of the capital city to the National Cathedral for his 11am state funeral service. Among those eulogizing him, will be his son, former President George W. Bush. Former Presidents Carter, Clinton and Obama will also be on hand for the state funeral.
Expected to Be In Attendance At Today's Service
- The Presidential Contingent: President Trump and first lady Melania Trump as well as former President Barack Obama (and first lady Michelle Obama, former President Bill Clinton (and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton), former President Jimmy Carter (and first lady Rosalynn Carter)
- World Leaders Including: King Abdullah II and Queen Rania of Jordan, Australian Governor General Peter Cosgrove, Polish President Andrzej Duda, former Polish President Lech Walesa, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Britain's Prince Charles, former Mexican President Carlos Salinas, former UK Prime Minister John Major, Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa, prince of Bahrain and personal representative of the king of Bahrain, former Japanese Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda, former Emir of Qatar Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, former Portuguese President Anibal Vaco Silva, former Estonian President Toomas Hendrik Ilves, former Kuwaiti Prime Minister Nasser al-Mohammed al-Ahmed al-Sabah, former Premier of Bermuda John Swan
- Following the service: The former president will return to Houston where he’ll lie in repose at St. Martin's Episcopal Church in Houston from 7:45pm ET tonight until 7am ET tomorrow morning. A second memorial service for Bush will be held there at 11am ET.
- After that, he’ll be transported by train (at his request) to Texas A&M University and the George Bush Presidential Library & Museum, where he’ll be interred beside his beloved Barbara and their daughter, Pauline Robinson "Robin" Bush – who died of leukemia when she was just three.
Source: PBS, ABC News