How's this for good timing? A nine-year-old girl near Boston named Shailyn Ryan was at school last Wednesday. And her best friend Keira started choking on a hot dog at lunch.
She couldn't breathe, and her face turned red. But luckily, Shailyn knew what to do . . . because she'd just learned the Heimlich maneuver ONE DAY earlier.
Her parents signed her up for a course at their local rec center called Home Alone Safety. And one of the things she learned was what to do if someone starts choking.
So she immediately jumped up . . . got behind Keira . . . did the Heimlich the way they taught her to . . . and saved her best friend's life.
She told the local news she wasn't even nervous when she saw Keira choking, because she knew exactly how to handle it.