Photo Credit: Getty

LOS ANGELES (CNS) - The former Dodgers executive who made the decision  to have more off-duty Los Angeles police officers wear polo shirts rather than  regular uniforms during selected games testified by video deposition today that  he thought the civilian attire could diffuse potential trouble.

Ramon Maytorena, the team's vice president of security from October 2008  until December 2010, said he believed troublemakers would not respect  security personnel wearing police uniforms and badges and that such attire  could escalate negative situations.

Maytorena was called as a defense witness in the final day of testimony  in the Los Angeles Superior Court trial of a negligence lawsuit filed against  former Dodgers owner Frank McCourt and Los Angeles Dodgers LLC on behalf of  Bryan Stow, who suffered permanent brain damage in a beating in a stadium  parking lot.

Stow was in court today for the first time in several weeks. The 45-year- old former paramedic listened as Maytorena said that while the number of  incidents fell after more officers began wearing polo shirts, for some games it  was still better to have a higher presence of personnel in regular police  uniforms.

Maytorena, a former Secret Service agent, also said gang-related  problems declined during his tenure and that there were no violent incidents in  parking lot 2, where Stow was attacked by two Dodger fans after the opening day  game against the rival San Francisco Giants on March 31, 2011.

Maytorena had left the Dodgers by that time and now lives in Arizona.

Security training underwent consistent review while he was in charge,  Maytorena said. Security guards re-enacted such situations as a person needing  first aid as well as how to best handle fans using foul language, Maytorena  said.

Instead of counseling guests at their seats for making offensive  remarks, ushers began escorting them up to a concourse area so that a security  manager could try to convince them to change their behavior, Maytorena said.

Stow, in Giants gear, was punched from behind by Dodger fan Louie  Sanchez after the home opener between the longtime rivals. Sanchez and his  friend, Marvin Norwood, then kicked the Northern California father of two after  he fell to the ground.

Stow's attorneys maintain security was insufficient inside and outside  of the stadium and that no officers or guards were present in lot 2 when Stow  was attacked.

Stow's attorneys maintain that his assailants should have been kicked  out of Dodger Stadium hours earlier for unruly behavior and that more uniformed  security within the stadium could have acted as a deterrent to their  misconduct.

Rialto residents Sanchez, 31, and Norwood, 33, pleaded guilty in January  to carrying out the attack on Stow and were sentenced to eight- and four-year  terms, respectively. They are also both facing a federal weapons charge that  could land them in a federal lockup for up to 10 years.

Defense attorneys say Sanchez, Norwood and Stow are to blame for his  injuries. They assert Stow was drunk, gestured toward his assailants and made  sarcastic remarks. McCourt filed a cross-complaint against Norwood and Sanchez  that is being tried along with Stow's case.

Several witnesses for Stow, however, have denied during the trial that  he antagonized his assailants.